This is what we're having for dinner tonight, how about you ? So get posting those delicious recipes !! I will be picking my favorite recipe and that person will receive a RAK from me!
Ultimate Beef Stew Recipe
3½ hours 30 min prep
|1/4||cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|2||cups all-purpose flour|
|2-3||lbs boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 2-inch pieces (this cut is also called chuck shoulder pot roast and chuck roast boneless)|
| ||sea salt|
| ||fresh ground black pepper|
|750||ml dry red wine (recommend a Burgundy)|
|8||sprigs fresh thyme|
|6||garlic cloves, smashed|
|3||slices orange zest, 1-inch each|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves|
|2 1/2||cups beef stock|
|9||small new potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut in half|
|1/2||lb carrots, peeled and sliced|
|2||cups white pearl onions|
|1||lb white mushrooms, cut in half|
|1/2||lb green peas, frozen or fresh|
| ||flat leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish|
- Preheat a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the oil and butter.
- While the pan is heating, arrange the flour on a large dish. Season the cubed beef with some salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss in the flour to coat. Shake off the excess flour and add the beef chunks in a single layer to the hot pan, being careful not to overcrowd the pan; you might have to work in batches. Thoroughly brown all of the cubes on all sides. Once all the meat has been browned, remove it to a plate and reserve.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring up to a simmer while you scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon being sure to loosen up all those tasty bits. Once the wine has gotten hot, add the browned meat, thyme, smashed garlic, orange zest strip, ground cloves, freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste, bay leaves and beef stock. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until the liquids start to thicken, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2 hours add halved potatoes, sliced carrots, pearl onions and mushrooms, along with a pinch of sugar to balance out the acid from the red wine. Turn the heat up slightly and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes more, until the vegetables and meat are tender. Add the frozen peas during the last minute of cooking. Season with salt and pepper and remove the thyme sprigs.
- To serve, place the stew in a soup bowl, garnish with parsley, drizzle with olive oil and add a dollop of recipe #256718 Horseradish Sour Cream. Right before serving add a slice of Toasted Peasant Bread, half way submerged in the stew.
I am trying to get my mojo pumping. I have a ton of stuff I need to get working on and I have lost my mojo! Not good ! I think I will be stalking blogs to get some inspiration. I have come across some really great sites lately and it has kind of brought back my passion for shabby chicness. LOVE this site Decor 8.
Do you guys have any favorite sites you want to share with a mojo-less girl ?